With so many proms and parties on your teenager’s social calendar, it can get a little confusing knowing what style of dress best suits the various events — let alone what to choose for certain body types.
Homecoming is a long-standing American tradition when successful alumni college and high school students are welcomed back for a celebratory reunion. Many different events are often hosted, including a prom-style dance where everyone is invited to mingle with the guest attendees and be inspired.
If your teenage girl has a homecoming party invite, what type of dress should she wear — particularly if she’s tall? Here’s everything you need to know:
Homecoming Dress Style
Homecoming dances are a semi-formal event, which means they’re more relaxed than spring or end of year proms. To match this casual atmosphere, your young lady’s dress can be shorter at knee or calf length — which is also much more comfortable for dancing. Additionally, she can easily reuse the dress at other semi-formal events throughout the year.
Some schools may have a homecoming theme such as Paris, a garden party or The Great Gatsby, so you can plan the dress colour and style accordingly. Alternatively, as homecoming parties are often held in late September or early October, autumn is well and truly in the air, meaning you can indulge in those gorgeous golden colours. Reds, golds and teals are lovely colours to wear. Browse our collection of girls’ autumn dresses and treat her to a perfect homecoming dress.
Homecoming Dresses for Tall Girls
If your young lady is tall — lucky her! Almost every dress style will suit her nicely. But to give her guidance and added confidence when choosing her dress, here are our top styling tips for tall girls:
- Choose a knee-length dress: While tall girls look amazing in maxi dresses, shorter dresses for occasions like homecoming also look fabulous too. The most flattering dress length is usually just above, on, or just below the knee.
- Match the accessories: Co-ordinate the bag and shoe colours to add a sense of cohesiveness to her outfit. Browse our exquisite range of girls’ accessories to complement and enhance her style.
- Wear colour: A tall frame can effortlessly pull off bright colours and patterns without being overwhelming, so encourage her to be bold. If people notice your girl for her height, she may as well work it with a stand out dress! We love the wine floral trim dress.
Wine Floral Trim Dress
- Balance out shoulders: If your girl is tall with broad shoulders, balance them out with a fit and flare dress or skater skirt. This dress is snug at the waist and flairs out into a fuller skirt. Our royal blue contrast prom dress is a lovely example.Royal Blue Contrast Prom Dress
- Add heels: Who says a tall girl can’t wear heels? If she has large feet, heeled shoes will heighten her foot’s proportion, which eliminates some of the length. Besides, they’ll enhance those long legs so many other girls envy. A shorter kitten heel or a chunky wedge is a comfortable option if she usually wears flats. Ankle straps also help to break up her leg length if she’s wearing a shorter dress.
If your little lady is tall, all she needs now is the right attitude and posture to wear her homecoming dress with confidence.
To find the perfect homecoming dress for your teenager, browse our wide variety of short semi-formal dress in the beautiful autumn collection. Available up to age 16.
Comments are closed